Saturday, June 21, 2014

More of Our “Walking” Story

I could begin my “Walking Story” much the same way Thurland did.

1956  - 1995 I was “younger” and could keep in decent shape naturally, without much effort. I was the busy mother of four girls, and a bunch of foster kids and a couple day care kids.

Here is where we differ...

1995 - 2010  for me  got even busier as I ran a full time Day Care in my home. No problem to stay fit when you are lifting kids constantly, running after them, pushing them in strollers, while at the same time pulling a wagon load.

Unfortunately all that lifting took its toll on my back, which was not strong to begin with, after a serious injury back in 1985. So I had to retire from that busy life. Then the weight that was creeping up over the years was starting to creep a little faster.  I tried dieting. I tried walking. I even tried biking (but I spent the entire time wondering who was going to hit me from behind on the roads)  

It was about this time that Thurland got his “wake-up call” from the doctor. It not only changed his life. It changed mine! Up to this point I was trying to keep fit alone. He had no interest. Do you know how much easier it is to accomplish things “together”?  

We both read a book called “Younger Next Year” by Chris Crowley & Henry S. Lodge, MD. The basic lesson of the book was that you can “turn back your biological clock”.... and we did!  We started to feel younger than we had felt in quite a while.

I have this thing about falling down stairs. I used to do it constantly when I was a kid. Somehow as I get older I don’t do it so well anymore. It was in walking off the top of stairs that I broke my back. It was falling down stairs from our trailer, just three years ago, that broke my foot and badly sprained the other in one swoop.  So with these setbacks I am very grateful for the strength and abilities I have to be able to walk long distances and carry a back pack.  

We have enjoyed our walking adventures, as you can read on Thurland’s blog.  He didn’t mention a couple short hikes we did on the Appalachian Trail last summer. It takes 6 months to do the whole thing... not on my bucket list!  But to say we did part of it is cool.  We also hiked the back of Grand Manan Island a few times. What a beautiful place! (This blog photo is “the back of the island” Grand Manan)  The Fundy Footpath? Well, I really thought I was going to die out there, but I refused to give up, even when the opportunity came that I could.  We even did part of it again last year. I said my farewells to it that time. I am a walker, not a mountain climber! (Don’t know what possessed me to go back!!!) But I am proud to say I did it! (Third hardest trail in Canada...and that was our first hike! I do not advise other beginners to do it) 

The clock is ticking... the days are numbered... the biggest walking adventure is yet to come! 

Walking is not hard. You just put one foot in front of the other, again, and again, and again...  J
Happy walking!!


1 comment: