Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 7 Summary - OUR CAMINO ENDS

I didn't keep notes as I walked this week, AND I am writing this AFTER we have completed the 800 km.  It's Saturday night as I write, and yesterday at 2:00 we walked down the hill into Santiago de Compestela, got ourselves a room in the Seminario Menor albergue, and sauntered over to the Cathedral of Saint James, ending our Camino.  

Saturday morning we went back to the Cathedral area, found the Pilgrim Office, and received our certificates of completion!  Our new good friends, Kathy, Don, and Carmelle were with us; we had a little celebratory hug in the middle of the street, and that was that. 

But, that was not that.  In fact, I'm not sure "that" will ever be "that" again.

But while I'm trying to figure out what that means, here's a recount of the week.

1.  We walked.  From Samos to Barbadelos - 15 km., from Barbadelos to Portomarin - 20 km., from Portomarin to Portos, 20 km, from Portos to Melide - 20 km, from Melide to Arzua, 20 km.From Arzua to Pedrouza - 20 km, and finally Pedrouza to Santiago - 20 km.  Up hill and down (is there no flat land in Spain?) on streets, country lanes, and beautiful wooded paths.  We walked.

2.  It rained.  Until this week, we had kept our rain jackets handy three days in a row, and used them for about five minutes on each of those three days. This week, we used them - from Portomarin to Portos, Portos to Melide, Melide to Arzua, and from Arzua to Pedroza - we used them.  They did their job, and thankfully it was a warm rain, so we were never cold, but let's just say this week we learned what they mean when they say Galicia is rainy.



3.  Lorraine proved herself to be one of the strongest women I know. She wanted this as badly as I did, so day after day, she dug deep - as deep as anyone I've seen during our 7 weeks, and deeper than most.  Every morning she'd say, "I don't think I can walk today", and then she'd dig deep.  The last day she said, "I wonder if anyone has ever walked 780 km, and then not been able to finish."  And then she dug deep. 



4.  We made new - and lasting friendships.
Monday night in Portos was a Camino moment.  12 people, none of whom knew the others, were in a small albergue, waiting out the rain. Don and Sue, from Ottawa.  John and Kathy from Minneapolis.  Jacques from Montreal.  Jane and D (Denise), both from South Africa. Fabio and Valentina from Italy.  Carmelle from Montreal. And us.



And what a night we had.  The meal was superb. The conversation was engaging.  The friendships were instantaneous!  And Monday night was celebrated all week as we kept bumping into 8 of these people.


Fabio and Valentina were the couple I blogged about earlier (Carry each other's burdens).  She was carrying his back pack for a good part of the last few days because of a muscle injury he had.  I had talked to them earlier, and since they were holding back in the conversation (they spoke only broken English), I introduced them as my heroes, and told some of their struggles. They later confided they were not married, and had decided if they were able to get to Santiago together, they would be setting the date.  We walked much of the next few days together, and I know they were in Santiago, so I eagerly await the news of a date.

Speaking of dates, I wrote in that same blog about a blind man walking the camino with a guide. I never met them, but my friends John and Kathy did.  And they told me that the guides wife, and the blind mans girlfriend met them in Sarria and walked the last 100 km.  Guess who's girlfriend is now his fiancé? Another wonderful Camino moment.

5.  And speaking of "Camino moments", look for a separate blog called "The Camino DOES do miracles."  My heart leapt for joy this afternoon as Lorraine said, "that sounds like ..."  



Well, never mind, go look for the other blog.  If it's not there yet, it will be soon.  Because it was "..." Never mind, just go look.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I wish I had seen you in Santiago. I also arrived on Friday, the 10th. It is Sunday and I am on my way to Finisterre (very slowly). Looking forward to your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, on this epic journey, Can't wait to hear more. Thanks for the blog and the summary your experiences. Great to follow.... Hope you enjoy the rest of your time there..

    ReplyDelete